Pune


Pune. Ever the transit city. For years, we knew Poona as the place where the train stopped for a long time. Where the locomotive changed from Electric to Diesel on the way to Kerala and Diesel to Electric on the return journey. It was the big station that came after the ride up the Bhor Ghats. 

On the way to Kerala, it meant a change of weather of the dusty plains till we reached. On the way back, it meant, last leg of journey to home. 

Poona was just a station for us. Never a city. A place for Vada pav. A place to saunter on the platform. And Poona had their own local trains - that looked exactly like Mumbai. 

But thats all it had. A transit city. A station. There were people we knew who went to Poona, but never us - I wonder why. Too close to go on a vacation. Too far for a day trip. 

I finally went to Pune as part of my second job and I remember seeing Pune station from outside and being quite surprised...It incidentally became the first city outside Mumbai where I got to live. But I was in a rush. Every Friday I rushed out of Pune by the Asiad Bus and every Monday I stood at Vashi to get any transport that took to Pune. The journey up the hills each week is a story for a different time...

Pune had good weather. Somewhat decent food. Great Maharashtrian food. Ganesh Pandals. Great architecture and temples. And some fabulous history - after all my idol Shivaji had his capital here. A few times I went by myself to see some of these sights. I had two friend who showed up once in a while - Manoj. Manoj had no idea about Pune then, but we met once in a while. Manoj was special...He was there when I moved in and there when I moved out...

So Pune moved from being a transit city to a loved city. It still continues to be a transit city when we take the train or bus, but it also has a special place. 

The last two visits to the city were condolence visits - after Manoj passed away and after Sujas cousin passed away. The two visits before that were for a friends wedding and to meet Manoj - that was the last time we met...

This time, it will be for a training. My first. In Pune. A city with which I have had myriad connections. Manoj, I wish you were there...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time

On Techno savviness

Brown