Orange


Orange waala orange..I remember the fruit seller shouting this outside my house.  

It'smy favourite fruit. I loved Delite biscuits, Gold Spot, orange cream biscuits, the orange crescent shaped candy... Anything in orange... Later on it was the orange burfi from Nagpur. Much later I realised that these are all flavours.

The real fruit though remains a favourite. Easy to peel and eat - the trick is to eat everything including the fibre and the seeds and let your digestive system do the rest...

We love winters... For oranges. First up is the Nagpur variety... The bulbous sweet ones... Then it's the Ooty variety. Eat it just like that or eat it the way they give it on Mumbai local trains... With some salt and chilli powder...

Each bite succulent...a mouthful of orange in every bite. When we peel oranges, we offer a segment (carpel says Google) to each other to see which is the best.
 
For some reason I used to squeeze an orange peel near my eyes to make it water. Cats don't like the smell of citrus. They smell it like we would smell a dead rat. 

I discovered a million varieties of orange juice in the US till I got fed up of it. Orange juice generally reminds me of long flights, especially bad orange juice, the packaged variety.

In our house we have a mango season and an orange season... In between them we just wait surviving on bananas mostly. 

Tangerines are imposters. That rascally fruit. Can't decide if it should be a sweet lime or an orange. 

In flavours,, Pulse candy is a new love. As is the sunfeast orange Marie. But only fleeting.

Give me the real thing anytime...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time

On Techno savviness

Brown